This unique motorcycle tour puts you in the saddle of a completely different 2-wheel 'beast'.
Come enjoy the exhilarating torque and rumble of BMW's largest 'Boxer' engine (1800cc) powering the all-new R18 range of cruisers.
|per rider in shared/double room incl. BMW R18 Pure & Classic (Only available for a booking of two persons. Single travelers need to choose the single room surcharge.)
|per pillion passenger in shared twin/double room on BMW R18 Pure & Classic (pillion passengers cannot book without an accompanying rider)
|per rider in shared/double room incl. BMW R18 Bagger & Transcontinental (Only available for a booking of two persons. Single travelers need to choose the single room surcharge.)
|per pillion passenger in shared twin/double room on BMW R18 Bagger & Transcontinental (pillion passengers cannot book without an accompanying rider)
|per person single room (surcharge - only available with an additional selection of the basic price "per rider in shared twin/double room")
|IMPORTANT: The price for a single rider in a sharing room requires another single rider booking with the same request. If there is no other request for room sharing we will have to charge you the single room supplement
|Rental riding helmet, jacket and gloves (Surcharge) - On request
|Airport/Hotel/Service Center transfers in Chiang Mai at arrival and departure days
|3 nights with Breakfast at carefully selected quality hotels and resorts with leisure facilities
|3 Lunches and 3 Dinners
|Water, soft drinks, coffee/tea in connection with the meals
|Late model BMW R18 Motorcycle rental with unlimited mileage and fuel
|Motorcycle Damage & Loss Coverage
|Experienced Tour leader on a motorcycle
|English speaking licensed Tour guide
|Transfer of luggage in the support vehicle
|Entrance fees to national parks, boat rides and other experiences
|R18 Thailand Experience T-shirt and a pannier bag
|On rest days, if any, no lunch or dinner included
|Riding gear (helmet, jacket & gloves can be rented at the Service Center. We do not provide pants and boots). We do recommend to bring your own.
|All services not mentioned as included and all items of a personal nature.
|Start/Finish: Chiang Mai, Thailand
|Arrival/Departure: Chiang Mai Airport
|Duration: 4 days total, 3 riding days
|Total riding distance: 800km
|Daily stages: between 180-280km
|Terrain: 100% Paved
|Rest days: No
|Weather: Depends on what time of the year you are in, the temperature can drop to around 10°C (50°F) during the cold season night, or can go as high as 40°C (104°F) during the summer day. Below is the average temperatures and chance of rain for Northern Thailand and its neighboring countries.
|Northern Thailand, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam: 10-30°C (50-86°F), Chance of Rain 0-20% during October to March 23-36°C (73-97°F), Chance of Rain 30-80% during April to September
|Riding gear: We can provide you a helmet and riding jacket with a surcharge of USD 10.- per day for each item. However we do suggest you bring your own riding gear for the tour if possible, since they will suit you better.
|Languages: Our tour guides and Road Captains are all bilingual. Besides Thai and English some of us speak German, Scandinavian, Slovenian etc. Upon request we can provide tour guides speaking other languages. When we have a group from a specific country, we will, upon request, ensure that one of our staff speaks that language.
|Group size: We strive to offer the best possible individual guest service and a safe riding environment. Therefore, our groups are relatively small and typically kept to 8 to 10 guest motorcycles plus pillions. Most of our guests prefer groups of this size, where diversity of age, motorcycle experience and interests ignites instant friendships.
|Motorcycle Damage & Loss Coverage: We have motorcycle damage & loss coverage. Your motorcycle security deposit amount is your maximum liability limit. This coverage is included in the tour prices for riding in Thailand, while for multi-country tours, we have a waiver program available to obtain the coverage for the riding days outside of Thailand.
|In the case of any replacement parts being required due to damage caused during the rental period we shall charge the rental customer for these parts, according to the Replacement Parts Price List, up to a maximum deductible amount of the excess amount listed in the table below (according the motorcycle type).
|Accommodation and meals: accommodations are carefully selected quality hotels and resorts with leisure facilities. Besides, we select quality restaurants serving fresh local delicious cuisines that reflect the character of the area in which we travel. We also strive to cater to our guests preferring vegetarian, western or other food preferences, prior notice required.
|Age limit: Minimum age limit for riders is 25 years old. We have no maximum age limit so long as you are in good condition to handle and ride the motorcycle. Pillion passengers should be not less than 15 years of age.
|Driving license and riding ability: The customer declares that he/she possess a valid Driving License from their home country and an International Driving License for motorbike over 500 cc (the vehicle) taking part in the tour for the period of travel and has the necessary riding ability, technically, mentally and physically to control such a vehicle booked, safely on the tour route. The customer also declares to have experience of riding motorcycles above 500 cc for at least a total of 10,000 km.
|Pillions/Passangers: Our BMW GS motorcycles are made for and equipped for your partner to be very comfortable as a pillion. On Guided Tours, our support vehicle can accompany a few passengers throughout the tour (upon prior request).
|Language: This offer is usually suitable for English and/or German speaking participants. Please enquire for language options.
|Mobility: The offer is not suitable for people with reduced mobility. Please contact us for more information.
This tour provides an outstanding opportunity to obtain a thorough impression of the uniqueness of a part of north Thailand. The roads wind through areas of spectacular mountainous beauty - some of the best riding anywhere in the world.
Chiang Dao limestone mountains and Chiang Rai. The Mekong River and the Golden Triangle. We will visit the Long Neck Women of the Kayan Tribe, famous for the brass rings that they wear around their necks. Also, spend some time with Elephants. Before returning to Chiang Mai, we will stop at the White Temple.
Day 1: Arrival - Chiang Mai
Arrival at Chiang Mai Airport (no later than 1 pm). Transfer to the hotel. In the evening we have a Welcome Dinner and a briefing about the tour. Overnight in Chiang Mai.
Day 2: Chiang Mai - Chiang Rai
The roads we are riding are in good shape with normally low traffic density. In the morning leave Chiang Mai and ride north direction towards Chiang Dao. From here we cross a mountain range, also a continental divide. Those are the roads you love to ride the motorcycle on. After lunch, we ride towards Thaton, at the Kok river where we visit Wat Thaton Chedi with its beautiful views over the valley below. From the temple, there is an hour's ride to our hotel in Chiang Rai which is the end destination of the day. Overnight in Chiang Rai.
Day 3: Chiang Rai - Golden Triangle - Chiang Rai
From Chiang Rai, a short ride to the mighty Mekong River at the legendary Golden Triangle where the three borders of Thailand, Myanmar, and Laos meet. The first stop is the viewpoint at Wat Phrathat, from here you have the Golden Triangle in front of you. In the small but interesting local Opium Museum, you can learn more about Khun Sa and the opium trade in the past. Leave the motorcycle at the museum and walk to the boat pier by the Mekong River. Here you swap your motorcycle for a boat and explore the river region. Taking a short break in Laos (no visa needed, only bring your passport) before returning to your motorcycle.
From the Golden Triangle, lunch at a local restaurant located on a rice field. Continue back towards Chiang Rai where we visit an Elephant Camp and Long Neck Village.
The Karen long neck, a tribal minority, historically lived in the hills on the Myanmar side of the border. Some of their women wear heavy brass rings around their necks, forearms, and shins. Many ideas regarding why the coils are worn have been suggested. Some have hypothesized that the rings protected women from becoming slaves by making them less attractive to other tribes. Another theory is that the coils originate from the desire to look more attractive. Why don’t you ask them and find out the real story….
Day 4: Chiang Rai - Chiang Mai
Today we start with a short ride through Chiang Rai, using back roads to the White Temple, Wat Rong Khung. It’s a remarkable temple that is today recognized as one of the main attractions all over Thailand. We will park our motorcycles in front of the temple. Take a stroll inside the temple, well worth the effort. From here we ride south towards Chiang Mai, stopping at Doi Chang Coffee for lunch. Further south we stop at the Mae Kachan Hot Spring. The final stretch to Chiang Mai on the new four-lane road snaking its way over the mountain. This is a pure riding pleasure, especially on the R18, enjoy!
We will be back in Chiang Mai around 4 PM. Please plan your departure flight no earlier than 7 PM. Alternatively, stay longer and enjoy Chiang Mai and its surrounding areas. If you want help with accommodation and excursions, or you like to use your R18 for a couple of more days, let us know.
- It's possible to extend the itinerary & number of days by your request.